Wednesday, December 10, 2008

To Listen, Remember and Reflect...

I love this time of year. It is a time to really listen, remeber and to reflect upon what is really important in life. With the economy the way it is, I feel that We are all being humbled and brought down to our knees. We are being taught the importance of living within our means, and being prepared for what ever hardship may come our way. We our being taught forgiveness and love. We are being taught to have faith and to rely on our families for love and support. I am thankful for these lessons.

This has been something that has been on my mind quite a lot over the past month or two. So I guess I just wanted to take this opportunity to share a few thoughts and feelings with my wonderful family and friends.

I am sure that someone has been affected in some way or another with the economy. I know that John and I have. As hard as things may be, I am grateful for this. Because it has made me stop and realize. It has made me Listen a little better. It has made me remember what is really important. It has also made me reflect upon my life, my Saviors life and example and the lives of those important people in my life that are with me now, and those who have come and gone.

I was talking to my amazing Sister Julie the other day. I love this woman so much! She is such a strength and example to me. She was sharing with me the details of an activity she did with her Young Women from her ward. The basic gist of it is, is that she asked all the girls to bake cookies and they were going to go caroling to different houses and give the cookies as a gift. Well with out the girls knowing it, she asked all the people before hand to reject the girls and turn them away. Well the girls were all very upset. They couldn't believe that people had lost the Christmas spirit and were so mean. Well they had gotten to the last house and my Sister started walking over to a barn that was across the street and the girls just naturally followed her. Of course my sister had set this all up before hand, but they all of the sudden heard beautiful Christmas music coming from this barn and when they got there they saw a couple dressed up like Mary and Joseph standing by a stable with a baby in a manger full of straw. They all got there and immediately sat down and just listened and they all started to cry. As she was sharing this with me, I got a little emotional. I could picture going through that experience and being able to know a little bit of how Joseph and Mary felt when Christ was born. Mary was carrying and ready to give birth to the greatest gift that mankind could ever recieve but nobody cared and just turned them away. It was the most humblest of circumstances and the most joyous of circumstances.

This is what I choose to reflect upon. It doesn't even matter to me that I have christmas shopping to do. I just want to reflect upon my Savior and his birth. I want to reflect upon the Love that he has for me and my family. I want to remember that it is through him that I can return to live with my Heavenly Father and Savior again with my Amazing husband and child. Not only them but my distant relatives as well and those that have come and gone. I am so grateful for this knowledge. I know I fall short so many times. But Heavenly Father knows the intention of my heart and knows that I am indeed trying my very hardest. John and I have decided to forgo Christmas for each other this year. We would like to do a few nice things for Baylee but we feel it is a time where we just want to be together as a family and create memories and traditions. We will hopefully find a family that is need and be able to give to them what we can.

Along with reflecting on my Savior, I want to reflect and remember those people who have touched my life and shaped me into the person I am today. I first off have to thank my Husband John. I love you John and I am so grateful to have you in my life. Thank you for loving me and supporting me. I also have to thank my daughter Baylee. I love you Baylee. You have brought me such joy and happiness that I never thought was possible. I hope and pray that I can be the kind of mother, friend and example to you that you deserve. Because, you deserve the very best.

Next I have to thank my Mother. My mother is my rock. I see her strength, her never ending love and service, her unfailing faith and example and hope that I can at least be half of what she is. I love you Mom. I also thank my Dad for his love and support for me and my family. His back is always killing him but when ever we see him he is always so excited to see Baylee and his other grandchildren and will get on the floor to play with them. He helps create some great memories. I am grateful for his hardwork and allowing my mother to be a stay at home mom to raise her children. I love you Dad.

Next is all of my siblings. Being a mother and wife now and living away from my family, I crave to be able to talk to my Sisters. I have the best relationship with my older Sisters Holley and Julie. Holley is amazing. I think she could out do Martha Stewart any day of the week. She is so talented it blows me away. The qualites of my sisters are endless and I am so thankful for their examples to me. My 5 brothers. They would do anything for me. That I know. I don't talk to them as often, but we all love each other so much. The times we do get together we have fun just sharing old stories and memories, laughing and joking around with each other. They are all amazing Men. They are all amazing Fathers and friends and I love you all.

I am thankful for my In-laws. They have accepted me into there family and have loved me so much. I love you all. I have not met all of them, but please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers always and I can't wait for the day to meet them in person.

I am indeed thankful for my Grandparents. They shaped my parents into amazing people and have been such examples to me. Especially, though is my Grandpa White. I love you Grandpa. Thank you for your love and for your example of Faith, Love, Forgiveness, and Acceptance. You have helped me and my own family out so much. I can still see your face in my mind, and hear your voice in my head. You have always been a comfort to me in times of trials. I only feel joy and comfort when I think about you, your life and example. I miss you so much!

Thankyou to all of my dear Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and friends who have been there for me through out the years. You also have played a big part in my life. I love each and everyone of you.

As I am wrapping this all up. I hope you too can enjoy this time of year. I hope you too can stop and Listen a little more carefully, Remember your Savior and what is really important in your lives and Reflect upon those people and examples that have touched you. May you all have an amazing Christmas, and know that I love each and everyone of you so much. Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Holley said...

Kelly, thank you! That was much needed today. I love you. Despite the financial down turn- we can look at this as a time to return to simple, basic truths. Gospel, Family, Friends,there are no better gifts than those.

I still want you to post some more pictures though :-)

Jules said...

Kelly, you relayed my feelings so well. We have trials because it really is a time to sit and listen. I've been doing that more the last couple of days and it truly is a gift.

BTW I feel the same way about you. I was just telling someone today that you are my best friend. You are the first person I call when I need to talk. I too love the sister privileges. I hope all my girls will be able to feel that way about each other too.

That was a wonderful post, keep up the good work and know that you are following nicely in moms footsteps. You are an awesome wife and mother. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I♥U

You are so sweet, Kelly. It is such a blessing to have you part of our lives. Thank you for sharing your thoughts ... and so eloquently.

Katie said...

I always love to read your heartfelt posts. You are an amazing person with so much faith and assurance. I really admire that about you. You really do have your head on straight! The whole commercialization of Christmas is really bugging me this year too. I am so sick of the cycle of people buying material gifts with money that they really don't have. You are right on when you say that we need to focus on the gift of the Savior. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll admit that I was excited to see some pics of Baylee....

Ogie said...

Kelly, you have a wonderful way of expressing yourself and relaying this to those you love and care about. I have not had the pleasure of meeting you but I already know you are a very special young lady in that you are the one that John has picked to make his life complete. And just as importantly to Mother his child. Thanks for reminding us of the reality of the season and the blessings that we have near and far.

Masters Of Disasters said...

I agree you have a great family. Glad your remembering the true meaning of christmas. Love all your pictures!